Only a small proportion of unaccompanied and separated children in the EU live in family based care. The majority are placed in institutional reception facilities. Working with those children means, besides dealing with different backgrounds and different languages, coping with trauma or loss related to the reasons behind their arrival. Preparing host families on these themes can improve the quality/quantity of the reception and family based care (FBC) provided and decrease the risk of breakdowns.
Through the implementation of ALFACA II project, “Hope for Children” CRC Policy Center and other partners aim to support capacity building on rights of the child and child protection for practitioners and professionals working for and with migrant children in EU territory.
The project will deliver the following results to reach its objectives:
- Increased awareness and spread practical knowledge on the importance of providing FBC to vulnerable groups of children, especially in the participating countries (Italy, Greece, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus);
- Provided the possibility to set up FBC as a reasonable alternative to institutional care where it hardly exists (Cyprus, Greece, Croatia);
- More specifically, ALFACA-training directly offered to professionals in several EU Member States and in the countries of partners.
The implementation of the activities will consist in:
- Development of the methodologies by conducting a situation analysis and the expert meetings supported by field consultations;
- Collecting and spreading practical knowledge about the state of the art on FBC in the countries involved;
- Writing country reports, action plans and recommendations in order to reach a sustainable system;
- Organizing ALFACA-trainings in the participating countries and several other EU Member States;
- Dissemination of the outcomes of the project.
The ALFACA II project is co-financed by the European Commission (Ref. JUST/2014/RCHI/AG/PROF).
Coordinator: Nidos (Netherlands); Partners: Minor-Ndako (Belgium), Pleegzorg Vlaams Brabant (Belgium), Center for missing and exploited children (Croatia), Mentor Escale (Belgium), METAdrasi (Greece), Ai. Bi. - Associazione Amici dei Bambini (Italy).
Duration: 24 months.